Which blackhead remover is best?
Blackheads may not be as unsightly as whiteheads or red, inflamed breakouts, but they can be just as frustrating to deal with, especially because it can be challenging to get rid of them. With a targeted blackhead remover, though, you can get clear, smooth skin that’s selfie-ready without too much fuss.
Blackhead removers range from traditional face masks to pore strips to manual extraction tools. Some work more effectively and quickly than others, but choosing one is a matter of preference. Biore Charcoal Deep-Cleansing Nose Strips for Blackhead Removal have been a favorite for years because they’re effortless to use and prevent blackheads from returning.
What to know before you buy a blackhead remover
There are several ways to remove blackheads, so you have a choice when it comes to the type of blackhead remover you use.
- Masks are a standard option. They’re usually peel-off, so you pull out the blackheads when you remove the mask. However, some contain potent ingredients that remove blackheads by deep-cleaning pores. A blackhead-removing mask is extremely easy to use, causes no discomfort and can offer other beneficial ingredients for your skin. It can be messy to apply, though, and you’ll have to replace it when you use up the container.
- Pore strips have an adhesive that’s activated when wet. They dry for a certain period, and when you pull them off, the blackheads come off, too. Pore strips are less messy than masks, but they’re just as easy to use. However, they can cause some pain when removed and are often too irritating for sensitive skin. They require replacement when you use up a box.
- Manual tools can help open your pores so you can remove the dead cells and debris that form the blackheads. Unlike masks and pore strips, you can use these repeatedly without needing to replace them. They usually come in sets with multiple tools to work on different areas of the face. They can be painful to use and may cause scarring if you don’t use them properly.
- Electric blackhead removers use suction to remove dirt and debris from your pores to eliminate blackheads. They work quickly and don’t make a mess, but they’re pretty pricey. An electric blackhead remover can cause pain and may irritate sensitive skin.
When it comes to masks and pore strips for blackhead removal, it’s crucial to scan the ingredients list to make sure the formula doesn’t contain anything that irritates your skin or clogs your pores further. Avoid mineral oil and petrolatum, which can clog the pores.
You also want to ensure that the mask or pore strips won’t dry out your skin either. If a blackhead remover strips too much oil from your face, it can cause the skin to produce even more oil in response, leading to more blackheads and breakouts. Stay away from glycerin and alcohol to prevent this.
Tool kit components
If you opt for a blackhead remover tool kit, think about the tools it includes. Common options and what they do:
- An extractor fits over blackheads and applies enough pressure to release the trapped debris gently.
- Tweezers squeeze around the blackheads and remove the debris.
- A scraper grinds blackheads from the skin’s surface.
- A lancet punctures blackheads and other blemishes and releases the contents.
What to look for in a quality blackhead remover
Some blackhead removers are more versatile than others, so it’s essential to consider what kind of results you want.
If you’re only concerned with removing your blackheads, any option should do. However, if you want a product that can help soak up excess oil, offer anti-aging benefits and treat other breakouts, a mask is your best bet. Manual tools are also effective for treating other acne in addition to blackheads.
If you’re shopping for an electric blackhead remover or manual tools, it’s important to choose durable models so you get the best value for your money. Look for manual tools made of high-quality stainless steel that won’t rust. With electric blackhead removers, choose one that comes with at least a one-year warranty, so you can trust it will work for some time.
Some blackhead removers are easier to learn to use than others. Masks and pore strips are pretty user-friendly, but you may have trouble figuring out the correct way to use manual tools or an electric blackhead remover. It’s crucial to read the instructions that come with your tools or remover to ensure you know how to use them properly.
You may also want to consult with your dermatologist about the best way to use manual tools or an electric blackhead remover,
Using manual extracting tools or pulling off pore strips can be painful and irritating if you have sensitive skin. Masks and electric blackhead removers are usually gentler on the skin.
It’s also important to consider how much time you want to devote to blackhead removal. Electric blackhead removers and pore strips typically work quickest. Face masks and manual tools work better over a large area but require more time for each treatment session.
How much you can expect to spend on a blackhead remover
You’ll typically pay $5-$75. Masks, pore strips and manual tool kits usually go for $5-$30, while electric blackhead removers are most expensive, ranging from $30-$75.
Blackhead remover FAQ
Can I use a blackhead remover if I have sensitive skin?
A. Usually, but you should be selective about the product you choose. Pore strips are usually a poor option because they can irritate sensitive skin when pulled off. Face masks are often better, so long as you check the ingredient list to make sure they don’t contain any known irritants. Manual tools and electric blackhead removers can work well for sensitive skin if you use them correctly.
What type of blackhead remover is most effective?
A. It depends on your skin type and issues. If your blackheads are on your nose or chin and your skin isn’t very sensitive, pore strips are highly effective. For blackheads all over the face, a mask may be better. For targeted removal or stubborn blackheads, manual tools and electric blackhead removers can work extremely well.
What’s the best blackhead remover to buy?
Top blackhead remover
What you need to know: From a trusted skin care brand, this is an effective, user-friendly remover for mild to moderate blackheads on the nose.
What you’ll love: It’s extremely easy to use, contains charcoal to deep clean the skin and prevents blackheads from returning.
What you should consider: It can be painful to remove the strips.
Top blackhead remover for the money
What you need to know: This inexpensive stainless steel blackhead remover tool kit has the essential items needed to remove blackheads.
What you’ll love: It includes six useful tools made of strong stainless steel. The sharp tools include protective silicone covers. The price is affordable.
What you should consider: Although a case is included, it’s not very durable.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
Worth checking out
What you need to know: This easy peel-free mask is made with quality ingredients that clear blackheads for most users.
What you’ll love: Formulated with kaolin clay and sulfur, it’s made to absorb oil and clear the debris that causes blackheads. The fizzing action lets you know it’s working. It’s made without harsh ingredients and is cruelty-free.
What you should consider: It may cause irritation for some users. Stubborn blackheads may persist and require repeated use.
Want to shop the best products at the best prices? Check out Daily Deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Jennifer Blair writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2023 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.