Winter Ready: Avoid a Carbon Monoxide Emergency

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DALLAS, TX — The colder weather can sometimes bring with it some unwanted problems, and we’re not talking about on the roadways. Sunday morning, Dallas fire crews responded to a carbon monoxide emergency.

“Upon arrival, the levels were slightly elevated. At the time, we traced it back to the hot water heater, to the vent on the hot water heater,” Lt. Steve Harris with DFR hazmat said.

Yeah, the culprit turned out to be the water heater; something DFR says we should all keep in mind as the temps continue to plummet.

“The fans are not going, the windows are not open, sometimes it has a tendency because the house is so shut-up, it will stay concentrated in the house,” Harris explained.

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless and deadly. The gas is created by any appliance that generates fumes or gas – like a hot water heater.

Luckily, the couple inside the house is okay, thanks in part to their carbon monoxide detector. Fire crews say it’s your first line of defense in escaping potential danger.

Also, they remind everyone to make sure all your appliances are winter ready.

“Just make sure your heat units and your water heaters are working in proper order.”

Don't Miss


Latest News

More News