Despite threats from hackers, Sony is making the controversial Seth Rogen comedy available at a limited number of theaters on Christmas, including Alamo Drafthouse in Richardson.
“We cannot imagine the pressures that have been affecting Sony, at all levels of the organization they have been under attack. Amidst this unwarranted chaos, they have regrouped and listened to the public, the government and the exhibition community and responded with resolve and determination. At 10:45 a.m., Sony bookers approved screenings at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema and other arthouse and independent theaters across the country. This is the best Christmas gift anyone could give us. We, both distributors and exhibitors, have collectively stood firm to our principles and for the right to freedom of expression. Two days til Christmas, and I am proud to be an American.” —Alamo Drafthouse CEO, Tim League
In light of concerns about security at theaters, an FBI official said “we are fully engaged with Sony on the decision” to release the movie.
Sony may also make “The Interview” available through a video-on-demand service, but no companies have publicly agreed to help Sony do that.
“We are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theaters so that this movie reaches the largest possible audience,” Sony CEO, Michael Lynton said.
A few minutes after the studio chief’s statement, Rogen tweeted: “The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn’t give up! The Interview will be shown at theaters willing to play it on Xmas day!”
On Instagram, co-star James Franco called it a “victory” and said “the people and the president have spoken.”
“The Interview” is about an assassination plot against the North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un. It is widely believed that Sony Pictures suffered a cyberattack last month partly due to North Korea’s fury over the movie.
Tuesday’s news comes almost a week after Sony originally canceled the Christmas release of “The Interview.”
Sony, for its part, says it had little choice but to cancel the release after major theater chains like AMC and Regal backed out of plans to put it on their screens, citing threats from the same anonymous hackers that had apparently hacked into Sony.
There was an immediate backlash to the cancellation of the film, including from President Obama, who said Friday that Sony had “made a mistake.” (That same day, Sony started looking for new ways to distribute the film in some fashion.)
With each passing day, more people — including writers, independent theater owners and members of Congress — spoke out.
A petition titled “We the undersigned support Sony” started to pick up steam on Monday on the web site Change.org. It was published by Art House Convergence, an association of independent theaters across the country.
Some of those same theaters are now on board for the limited release on Christmas.
One of the members of the association, Alamo Drafthouse CEO Tim League, said in a statement that “this is the best Christmas gift anyone could give us.”
He added, “We, both distributors and exhibitors, have collectively stood firm to our principles and for the right to freedom of expression. Two days til Christmas, and I am proud to be an American.”
Before Sony’s announcement on Tuesday, that same sentiment had been widespread on social media among people who wanted to see the movie in order to make a statement. A growing number of organizations and politicians had offered to hold free screenings.
According to a new CNN/ORC poll, conducted December 18 through 21 and released on Tuesday, 36% of Americans think Sony made the right decision by canceling the movie, while 62% thought it was an overreaction. Men were about 20 percentage points more likely than women to call it an overreaction.