Denton PD Releases Body Cam Video of Taser Takedown

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DENTON -- Denton PD is trying to set the record straight by releasing body cam video of an officer using a taser to take down a man.

It's in response to the explosive amateur video that's been retweeted thousands of time as social media cried "police brutality."

But cops say the amateur video doesn't tell the full story. According to Denton PD, officers responded to an indecent exposure call and found a woman, only wearing a towel, on the balcony of a Motel 6.

"You notice she kept looking around over the balcony," Officer Ryan Grelle said. "They kept thinking that she may end up hurting herself."

While the officers talked to the woman, a man who didn't know the woman held her baby. He's been identified as Marcus Coleman.

Cops on the scene say she was in "an altered state" and needed to be checked out by medics.

"That is why they took her, tried to place handcuffs on her, for her safety, the safety of officers and anyone else that was up there," Grelle explained.

The struggle was caught on camera.

"Stop! Stop," she screamed.

Coleman then handed the baby off to another person and decided to get involved.

"At that point in time, when he tried to push through to the officer, that's when he deployed the taser," Grelle said.

Cops say Coleman was told to back up a total of 30 times before he was tased.

"Thirty times, backup, I think is a bit much," Wille Hudspeth, President of the NAACP in Denton, said.

Hudspeth says he's glad the officers were wearing body cams, so the public can see what actually happened. In this case, he called off protesters saying the cameras showed the cops did the right thing.

"And if something would have gone wrong, or out of sorts with this situation, we would start demonstrating," Hudspeth said.

Coleman was arrested for interfering with public duties.

The woman in the towel was taken to the hospital. Before cops left, a three-year-old boy wandered out of the motel room, naked and wet. Cops found the shower on and the water scalding hot.

The three-year-old and the baby are now in the custody of Child Protective Services.

Don't Miss


Latest News

More News