The State Fair of Texas and deep fried goodness go hand-in-hand.
34 semi-finalists are in the running to be featured at this year's fair.
2016 Big Tex Choice Awards Semi-Finalists:
- Bacon Wrapped Churros
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Belly on a Stick
- Barn Yard Burger
- Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
- Caribbean Pineapple Korn-a-Copia
- Crunchy Fried Oinkers
- Dallas' Fried Bacontilla
- Deep Fried Bacon Burger Dog Sliders on a Stick
- Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Tater' Dog
- Deep Fried Cannoli Bites
- Deep Fried Cheeseburger Stuffed Onion Rings
- Deep Fried Chicken Basket
- Deep Fried Hawaiian Hoops
- Deep Fried Nachos
- Deep Fried Pulled Pork "Funyun" Dings
- Deep Fried Smoked Salmon & Bacon Croquettes
- Dorito Bacon Fried Cheese Stick
- Down Home Chicken Pot Pie Pocket (with mac 'n cheese dip)
- Fried Cookies & Cream Sundae
- Fried Jell-O
- Fried Prime Rib Quesadill"O"
- Funnel Cake Sundae
- Holy Guacamole Balls
- Injectable Great Balls of BBQ
- Loaded Bacon Mashed Potato Egg Roll
- Lollipop Bacon Wrapped Quail Breast on a Stick
- Pina-A Lot-A
- Seductive Fried Sea Salt Caramel Wrap
- Shrimp Fritters
- Southern Fried Chicken & Dumplin's
- State Fair Cookie Fries
- State Fair Edible Colas
- Texas Fried Buffalo Quail
- Texas Fried Pinatacolupa
Some of these entries are straight forward, but others raise a few questions.
What is a Texas fried pinatacolupa or a Pina-A Lot-Ta?
A Pinatacolupa is meat and cheese with lettuce, tomato. It's deep fried in a corn batter.
If you soak pineapple in rum, dip it in coconut flakes, fry it up, and top it with whipped cream and cherries, you get a Pina-A Lot-Ta
The creators call it a "fun spin" on a pina colada.
Other questions on the menu include:
How do you deep fry Jell-O, and would you eat it?
Do churros and bacon really go together?
It doesn't matter which items get chosen. Either way, plan for a workout the day after because you might feel "fried" after eating them.
The State Fair of Texas starts on September 30th and runs through October 23rd.