Man Wanted in Deadly Oklahoma Rampage Killed in Shootout with Police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEEDY, OK --  The man accused of killing two people and shooting four others – including two Oklahoma officers – has been killed by authorities in Oklahoma.

After being spotted by witnesses, Dewey County Sheriff Clay Sander tried to pull over Michael Dale Vance, Jr. Of course, Vance wouldn't go down without a fight.

According to authorities, Vance shot Sander in the forearm and took off running. Sander is expected to make a full recovery.

Vance and police then got into a second shootout. "There was a pretty fierce gun battle that raged for some time, and ultimately Vance was killed at the scene," said Captain Paul Timmons with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

Sunday night's shootout was the end of week full of serious crime.

Around 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, October 23rd, officers were called to reports of shots fired in the small area of Wellston, outside Oklahoma City.

Officials say when authorities arrived to the scene, Michael Vance opened fire with an AK-47, injuring two Wellston police officers.

Officer Shaun Stewart and Officer Jim Hampton.

Officer Shaun Stewart and Officer Jim Hampton.

The officers, identified as Officer Shaun Stewart and Officer Jim Hampton, suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

After the shooting, Vance allegedly stole a Wellston police vehicle and left the scene. One witness believed Vance shot as many as a thousand bullets.

While inside the WPD vehicle, Vance went live on his personal Facebook page, saying that he was going to steal another car and it was “going to be intense.”

Vance later posted another video that shows him inside a different car.

After ditching the stolen police vehicle, Vance allegedly shot and carjacked a woman. She also sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

That woman's car was reportedly found at Triple X Rd. and Covell – where two of his relatives were found shot to death just before midnight.

Around 10:45 a.m., authorities found the bodies of 55-year-old Ronald Wilkson and 54-year-old Kay Wilkson.  Vance is the Wilksons' nephew, officials say.

The Wilksons were shot to death by their nephew, Michael Vance

Authorities say the Wilksons were shot to death by their nephew, Michael Vance

According to court documents, Ronald Wilkson was shot with an AK-47.

He also reportedly had a large cut on his neck that officials say is consistent with an attempt to sever his head.

Kay Wilkson suffered similar injuries, authorities say. She also had a large cut on her shoulder area. Police believe Vance attempted to remove her arm.

Vance then allegedly stole the Wilksons' silver 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse with an Oklahoma license plate, 943-LQQ.

Around 2:30 a.m., a man was reportedly shot at a gas station in Sayre, Oklahoma.

The shooting suspect matched Vance's description.

Police believed he attempted to carjack another victim, but was unsuccessful.

The 54-year-old man injured in the shooting was transported to a local hospital where he underwent surgery. He is said to be in good condition.

He was recently released from jail after being arrested for sexually assaulting a child. Family members said they thought Vance had been planning some type of crime spree after he asked for help obtaining a gun.