NEW DELHI — A national pastime turned deadly in India after three people had their throats slit by glass-covered kite strings; the freak accidents happened during Independence Day celebrations in New Delhi.
Two children, ages 4 and 6, died in separate incidents August 15 after looking out the sun roofs of their cars and becoming entangled in the razor-sharp strings, which are used to cut down competitors’ kites, according to muscatdaily.com. A 22-year-old man died the same way while riding his motorcycle.
A policeman and a 5-year-old child were injured in other incidents involving the glass-covered strings, known in India as manjha.
No arrests have been made, but the Indian government says anyone caught with the strings faces five years in jail and a 100,000 rupee ($1,500) fine.
India’s flying of kites on Independence Day symbolizes and celebrates the country’s freedom from British rule.