Man Contracts Flesh-Eating Bacteria at Galveston Beach

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

***Video contains graphic image

GALVESTON — A warning if you plan on taking a trip down to Galveston. A Houston man contracted a flesh-eating bacteria that took his leg after visiting the beach in Galveston.

50-year-old Brian Parrott says he was only in the water for a short period of time on June 12 with his family. But the next day, he got really sick.

"You go swimming with your family on Sunday, you go to work on Monday, you have a red leg on Tuesday, Wednesday you have boils on your leg, Thursday you lose the leg," Donna Dailey told KRIV

Parrott was rushed to LBJ Hospital in Houston where an emergency surgery removed his right leg from the knee down. He is still being monitored at the hospital as of Tuesday afternoon, KRIV reports.

Doctors told his mother he likely contracted a flesh-eating bacteria through a scratch on his foot.

The family said there were no warning signs at the beach.

"We want to we want to get the word out, and that's the main thing," Dailey said. "There's nothing more that we can do for my son but maybe we can save somebody else."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.