UPDATE: Carnival Cruise Returns with Arlington Mom Missing at Sea

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GALVESTON, Texas -- The family of Samantha Broberg should’ve been welcoming the mother of four home Monday afternoon. Instead, the house in Arlington was silent.

Returning cruise goers in Galveston, on the other hand, spoke in one voice.

"It was very sad,” said passenger Christa Waugh.

"It was a tragedy, and I feel sorry for her family,” added fellow passenger Gayla Herren.

33-year-old Samantha was on the Carnival Liberty, not even 12 hours into a cruise to Cozumel, when she came up missing.

"We just heard them continually try to call her over the loud speaker with no response,” said cruise passenger Clay Spears.

And then, they got the worst case scenario when the loud speaker rang out:

"Unfortunately, it appears, she may have fallen into the water early this morning.”

Carnival confirms surveillance video shows a woman sitting on the railing of deck 10 before falling backwards into the blue below. That woman was Samantha Broberg.

The Coast Guard ended a 20 hour search Sunday that covered more than 4,000 square miles in the Gulf of Mexico.

International Cruise Victims Chairman Ken Carver says the problem was in the timeline.

Broberg went overboard at 2:00 a.m., though Carnival says she wasn’t reported missing until later in the day. After an extensive search of the ship and the security video, the Coast Guard was notified at 5:00 p.m. -- 15 hours after she went over the rail.

“They would’ve known not 15 hours later to notify the Coast Guard. They would’ve known immediately,” Carver said. "They could’ve stopped the ship.”

Carver says infrared man overboard technology (MOB) would’ve alerted the crew immediately, but many cruise lines say it’s not reliable yet and gives too many false alarms.

Meanwhile, the Broberg family is left to wait on a miracle out of the Gulf of Mexico.