Bored? Broke? 👉 Savvy Saver

Man Ordered to Pay Child Support for Another Man’s Child — WHAT?!

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DAVENPORT, Iowa -- This is just wrong. An Iowa man is protesting a child support law that requires him to pay for another man's child.

Uh, come again?

Joe Vandusen thought it was a joke when he received a certified letter from the Iowa Department of Human Resources.

"I opened it up and it was child support, for a kid that is not even mine," he told WQAD.

The child was recently born to his long estranged wife, and there's no way it's his, he said.

"We've had no contact whatsoever in 16 or 17 years, and the child just turned one year old," Vandusen said.

Yeah, nearly 20 years separated but they never divorced. Regardless, Iowa and many other states require husbands to pay child support for any child born during the marriage.

So, Joe's required to pay up!

"I think it's wrong, it shows Iowa needs to change their laws," said Vandusen.

His only recourse is to petition the court to "de-establish" paternity. That will require going to court and hiring an attorney.

Recently laid off, he says he and his family are already struggling financially.

"Unless I come up with that magical $2,000 to pay the lawyer, I don't know what I can do," he said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.