NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Don't you hate it when this happens?
A Connecticut woman has filed a lawsuit after a surgeon-in-training operated on the wrong body part. Deborah Craven filed a lawsuit after a surgeon-in-training operated on the WRONG body part.
Craven, 60, was at the hospital to remove a painful and potentially cancerous lesion found on her rib. Before surgery and per protocol, radiologists properly marked the site where the potentially cancerous lesion was located by placing metallic coils into her rib and injecting a marking dye into her skin and surrounding tissue.
Somehow, the wrong rib was removed, and when Craven woke up, she was still in pain.
Hospital staff ordered an x-ray that revealed the metal markers were still in place in Craven’s rib and that the surgery had been performed on the 7th rib, rather than the 8th.
According to the suit filed against Yale-New Haven Medical Center, Yale University School of Medicine and doctors Anthony Kim, M.D. and his surgery trainee Ricardo Quarrie, M.D, Quarrie tried to cover up the mistake by stating that “not enough rib” had been removed and that an immediate repeat surgery was required. Craven returned to the operating room for a second time.
“We had this case reviewed by a board certified cardiothoracic surgeon who was appalled by the lack of care in this case," Faxon continued. "There were multiple opportunities to correct the error here and it was compounded by the lies of trainee doctor Quarrie. The surgical team at Yale has yet to take responsibility for its wrongdoing so now it will be up to a New Haven jury to hold them accountable.”
Yale-New Haven Hospital released the following statement:
“Yale-New Haven Hospital and Yale Medical Group are committed to providing the safest and highest quality of care possible. However, even in the best organizations medical errors may occur. When they do, our goal is to acknowledge them, learn from them, and ensure that we minimize any chance that they ever occur again. With respect to the case of Ms. Craven, we recognized that an error was made, we informed and apologized to the patient, and we immediately reported it to the Connecticut Department of Public Health,.