DALLAS -- A two-year-old girl is dead after being trapped inside a hot SUV. Nariyah Raufu passed away Friday on Garden Terrace Drive in Dallas. Apparently, she was left behind when her parents and other children went inside to take a nap.
When Nariyah’s father found her, she was still strapped in her safety seat.
While the family called 911, her mother reportedly performed CPR for nearly 30 minutes. Doctors at Children’s Medical City told her parents she didn’t make it.
“We do keep the family in our prayers because we know that family’s a good family. The mother’s a good mother, and we’re grieving with her,” neighbor Anthony Smith said. “I also have a two-year-old. We make no judgments.”
One neighbor, who didn’t want to be on camera, walks past the house every day.
“I see the momma and the baby walking down the street every other morning. But you know, it’s going to be odd not to see this. It’s going to be odd. And I’m going to miss that. I was so shocked because I saw her on TV, and I said ‘oh, poor darling.’ I felt like maybe if I would’ve walked down the street that day and saw her in there, then I could’ve saved her.”
Texas leads the nation in children who die in hot cars. Nariyah was the 10th child in the U.S. to lose their life after being left in a hot vehicle.
Child Protective Services is investigating. No charges have been filed.