NEW YORK CITY – A bomb threat that led to the evacuation of New York’s iconic Statue of Liberty and Liberty Island on Friday was unfounded, according to a law enforcement official.
The NYPD bomb squad examined a locker thought to contain a suspicious package and found it was empty, the official said.
About 2 p.m. Friday, the locker that reportedly contained the suspicious package had been cleared by police. Other lockers were being checked as a precautionary measure, the law enforcement source said.
Images posted on social media showed crowds of visitors walking on ramps to awaiting ferries.
All civilians were evacuated and only emergency personnel remained on Liberty Island, according to police. The fire department has EMS units on the island as a precaution.
Mike Burke, the head of Statue Cruises, which operates the ferry to the island, said: “Our first priority is the safety and well being of all of our visitors.” Because of the bomb threat, Burke said Statue Cruises would be “postponing all service to Liberty Island until the investigation is complete.”
Park police had notified the NYPD, which dispatched its bomb squad to investigate, officials said.
It is not uncommon to get false positives from the bomb-sniffing dogs, officials said.