Carbon monoxide closes Lakewood Elementary for second straight day

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DALLAS - With all the nasty weather, schools closing down aren't big news these days. But Tuesday, kids at Lakewood Elementary were evacuated and it didn't have anything to do with snow.

Carbon monoxide was detected in the building. At least 11 students and three staff members got sick.

Everyone else was marched to a nearby school where parents come to pick them up.

The cause? DISD blamed a dead owl trapped in the ventilation.

School was scheduled to reopen Wednesday, but officials found a boiler was releasing a toxic gas. So, the kiddos got another day off and local owls are waiting for an apology.

But this incident was a wake-up call for parents who didn't realize carbon monoxide detectors aren't mandatory in Texas schools.

So, should they be?

"I think it's a bit premature to make that determination," said Andre Riley, DISD Director of News & Information. "Again we don't have any carbon monoxide detectors in any of our schools. They're not required by the state. However, that's a discussion we can have down the line."

But one volunteer organization, Friends of Lakewood, is looking to change all that -- at least for Lakewood Elementary.

"At this point with everything's that's gone on, we're going to purchase those and we will install them in the school," Russ McMillan with Friends of Lakewood said.

Well, that's good news. Hmm, so that leaves around 8,000 schools in Texas that won't get an alarm if an owl or a boiler misbehaves.

Hey, this is one chemistry lesson we don't want to fail.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.