Deadly Gum: Basketball Player Choked to Death on Gum??

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WASHINGTON COUNTY, PA -- We all know we shouldn't smoke in bed. But it turns out, you shouldn't chew gum in bed, either. Yeah, there's a risk you might wake up with it in your hair or the risk of not waking up at all. Students on the California University of Pennsylvania campus are now mourning the death of 21-year-old basketball player Shanice Clark.

She was found dead in her dorm room early Sunday morning.

According to a preliminary report from the coroner, Clark may have choked on chewing gum while she slept.

Family and friends are waiting on the autopsy for confirmation.

“Life is just too short,” freshman Sasha Jett said. “You have to cherish it. You can’t really go without cherishing every day.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.