Another U.S. Ebola Case? Patient Tested in D.C.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Another Ebola scare on American soil. This time, in the nation’s capital. A patient is being tested for the deadly virus at Howard University Hospital in Washington, D.C.

“In an abundance of caution, we have activated the appropriate infection control protocols, including isolating the patient. Our medical team continues to evaluate and monitor progress in close collaboration with the CDC and the Department of Health,” Howard University Hospital spokesman Kerry-Ann Hamilton said in a statement.

Hospital officials said the patient, who has not yet been identified, recently traveled to Nigeria. The patient is listed in stable condition.

Crews begin cleaning apartment of Dallas Ebola patient

First Ebola Patient Thomas Eric DuncanMeanwhile in Dallas, Texas, a hazardous materials crew has started efforts to sanitize the Dallas apartment of Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S. The apartment still has sheets, clothes and towels that Duncan used during his visit. Four people in the apartment — his partner, her son and two nephews — who came into contact with Duncan have been ordered to remain there until October 19 (Ebola’s incubation period is anywhere between two and 21 days).

Also on Friday, 50 people in Dallas were being monitored for possible Ebola symptoms, according to Dr. David Lakey, Commissioner of the Texas Department of State Health Services. Lakey said in Friday’s telebriefing that none have shown any symptoms at this point.

Three sheriff deputies who delivered court orders to the people in Duncan’s apartment have been placed on leave,” Dallas County Sheriff’s Department spokeswoman Carmen Castro said Friday. The time off was for their own peace of mind, Dallas authorities told CNN.

Duncan remains in serious but stable condition at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. Duncan arrived by plane from Liberia on September 20 to visit family. He fell sick on September 24 and sought care two days later but was released.

Duncan was admitted to an area hospital on September 28, which is when the CDC was notified, according to CDC Director Tom Frieden.

NBC photojournalist contracts Ebola, must be placed in quarantine