This 4th of July all of us will be trying to get a hot dog! According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, more than 155 million will be eaten on Independence Day! But if hot dogs aren’t your thing and you want to get a little more fancy at your backyard barbecue, we’ve got just the ticket! Check out these easy and delicious fajita poppers!
9 jalapeños (or peppers), halved lengthwise, deseeded, deveined and grilled
1 package puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
8 oz cream cheese softened
1 cup rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 cup Oaxacan cheese (or cheddar), shredded
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped onion
2 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp water
1 tsp paprika to dust
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a medium-mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, chicken, cheese, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Stuff each pepper half with a heaping mound of the cheese filling and set aside.
- Unfold the thawed puff pastry and cut each sheet into 9 squares.
- Wrap each stuffed pepper in one of the pastry squares and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet as you finish them, making sure they are about an inch apart.
- Whisk together the egg and water and brush the egg wash over the top of each popper and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the poppers are golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.