‘It’s All Gone!’ Neighbor’s Meth Lab Fire Costs Dallas Couple Everything

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DALLAS  -- When Jennifer and Joel Miller got married on July 4th, they couldn't have imagined how their lives would change in the first month of their marriage. On July 31st, there was a fire in the apartment next door.  While firefighters put out the flames before it destroyed the building, smoke from the fire spread to all the adjacent units, including the Millers'.

The apartment complex sent out an email a few days later saying cleanup was underway and that everyone was safe, but the Millers say that's not the case.

According to the Fire Investigation Report, the fire was started when the occupant was "experimenting with chemicals." Meaning the smoke that had flooded the Millers' and other apartments wasn't just soot and ash.

The Millers' inspectors told them that because of the chemical residue, everything in the apartment was a complete loss and must be incinerated.

So, just what chemicals was that neighbor experimenting with?  The fire report also says the occupant's father told investigators that his son had "attempted to cook meth in the past and destroyed his house."

Yikes!

For now, the fire has landed Jennifer and her daughter Paisley in a hotel while Joel, a truck driver, is away for work.

Jennifer says their apartment is uninhabitable, and they're under-insured, meaning they must find a new place to live and find a way to replace the things they lost.

They've set up a GoFundMe page for anyone looking to lend a hand to these newlyweds whose lives went up in smoke.